- ‘m twice; two d’
in combination Meta-
7in combination (in units of measurement) milli-
- ‘the generator operated at 40 kV and 100 mA’
- ‘£5 m’
- ‘E = mc²’
nounplural noun Ms, plural noun M's
1The thirteenth letter of the alphabet.‘I'm 30 and have had the exact same problem for many years -- and only just recently realized dilemma has two M's and no N.’
- ‘Remember, his name has two M's in it.’
- 1.1Denoting the next after L in a set of items, categories, etc.
2The Roman numeral for 1,000.‘The Roman numerals C and M sometimes did not mean 100 or 1000 (see hundred).’
- ‘What number equals the Roman numeral M?’
From Latin mille.
(on scorecards) maiden over(s).
3Malta (international vehicle registration).
4Medium (as a clothes size).
5in combination (in units of measurement) mega-
- ‘8 Mbytes of memory’
Messier (catalogue of nebulae)
- ‘the galaxy M33’
(with reference to solutions) molar.
- ‘0.15 M NaCl solution’
- ‘M Chirac’
9(in UK road designations) motorway.
- ‘the M25’
10Used with following numeral in measures of money supply.
- ‘broad money, M3, grew by an annualized 9.7 per cent’