Of or denoting the alkyl radical —CH₃, derived from methane and present in many organic compounds.‘methyl bromide’
- ‘For example, the derived alkyl group from methane is the methyl group.’
- ‘Currently, the largest volume organic bromine product is methyl bromide, a fumigant.’
- ‘The boat was carrying 6000 metric tons of styrene, isopropyl and methyl ethyl ketone.’
- ‘But methyl bromide and methyl chloride, unlike the CFCs in halides have both human and natural sources.’
- ‘Another preparation method involves acid hydrolysis of methyl formate.’
Mid 19th century from German Methyl or French méthyle, back-formations from German Methylen and French méthylène (see methylene).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips