A sheet of rock that has moved sideways over neighbouring strata as a result of an overthrust or folding.‘On its south side the Oytag arc is thrust over Carboniferous sandstones and limestones that are folded into spectacular nappes.’
- ‘Another important difference is that the basement of one of the Menderes nappes (dine nappe, see below) is of Neoproterozoic to Cambrian age.’
- ‘Stratigraphic relationships show that the Mata nappe follows a recumbent fold structure characterized by a normal and an inverted fold limb.’
- ‘Southwest of the Dornoch Firth, the Sgurr Beag Thrust divides the Moine rocks into two major nappes.’
- ‘Moine rocks within the Moine nappe are mainly unmigmatized psammites which locally may preserve sedimentary structures.’
- ‘Along the eastern margin of the nappe folds verge to the east and the cleavage fans until it dips westward.’
- ‘In Tertiary time, the Batain nappes were unconformably overlain by carbonate and elastic rocks.’
The desired consistency of a sauce, at which it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- ‘it is made from a roux and milk, gently simmered and stirred until thickened to a nappe’
Late 19th century French.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips