1pack something in, pack in something informal Give up an activity or job.
resign from, leave, give up, drop, abandon, renounce, relinquishgive up, abstain from, drop, desist from, refrain from, steer clear of, give a wide berth to, reject, eschew, forswear, avoid, discontinue
- ‘I'm packing in the job’
- ‘Ive half a mind to pack the whole thing in.’
- ‘I think I'll pack the diet in for a while and just concentrate on the fitness side.’
- ‘He's packing the job in next month.’
2British informal (of a machine) break down.
- ‘at Gatwick, the engine packed in’
3pack something in, pack in somethingNorth American Carry something to a place (used especially with respect to remote campsites)
- ‘pack out what you pack in, use campfires sparingly, and put them out completely’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips