1North American informal Placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy.
fussy, difficult to please, difficult, finicky, over-fastidious, fastidious, over-particular, particular, faddish, finical, dainty, punctilious, hair-splitting, exacting, demanding, critical, overcriticalView synonyms
- ‘she's very persnickety about her food’
- ‘Astaire, a professional dancer from the age of 7, did all of his own choreography, and he was as exacting about corrections as the most persnickety repetiteur.’
- ‘Yesterday's, incidentally, introduced me to the wonderful word persnickety.’
- ‘‘He's a real persnickety son-of-a-gun,’ says Campbell of the director.’
- ‘We sat in the back of her persnickety 1966 Ford Falcon for a few hours.’
- 1.1Requiring a particularly precise or careful approach.
- ‘it's hard to find a film more persnickety and difficult to use than black-and-white infrared’
Late 19th century alteration of pernickety.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips