Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A hallucinogenic compound of the alkaloid class, found in the liberty cap and related toadstools.
- ‘LSD use also produces tolerance for other hallucinogenic drugs such as psilocybin and mescaline, but not to drugs such as marijuana, amphetamines, and PCP, which do not act directly on the serotonin receptors affected by LSD.’
- ‘Some hallucinogens, such as PCP and MDMA are addictive, while others, such as LSD, psilocybin, and mescaline are not.’
- ‘His chapter on psychedelics begins with the modern history of such drugs, with sections then devoted to brief discussions of the subjective effects of LSD, psilocybin, mescaline, DMT, ayahuasca, MDMA, and marijuana.’
- ‘While regular hallucinogens like psilocybin stimulate new neurological connections, the Amanita muscaria does something extra.’
- ‘The mechanisms of action of the hallucinogens lysergic acid and psilocybin (magic mushrooms) are complex, with various effects on serotonergic, dopaminergic, and adrenergic receptors.’
1950s from modern Latin Psilocybe (genus name), from Greek psilos ‘bald’ + kubē ‘head’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips