- ‘students greeted him as he walked through the quad’
- ‘9,294 women gave birth to twins, while 147 had triplets, and five had quads’
3A quadriceps muscle.
- ‘I have well-developed quads but my glutes are not all they could be’
4A quad bike.
- ‘inexperienced riders on quads and mopeds’
5mass noun Quadraphony.‘we issued records in two forms at once, stereo and quad’
- ‘This means that a quadraphony transmission must be capable of reproduction through a stereo or monaural receiver.’
6(in telephony) a group of four insulated conductors twisted together, usually forming two circuits.
- ‘These units can contain one, two or eight LEDs, the duals and quads available in tower versions only.’
Abbreviation of quadruplex, a telegraphic device invented by Thomas Edison, by means of which four messages could be sent simultaneously over one wire.
7A radio aerial in the form of a square or rectangle broken in the middle of one side.
marketplace, close, quadrangle, quad, courtyard
- ‘The monthly electric bill to run a high-speed quad can hit $14,000.’
Abbreviation of quadrilateral.
8 informal A traditional four-wheeled roller skate.
- ‘I have been skating on Ice, roller, quads, blades for over 20 years.’
- ‘Even then, quads aren't as fast as low cut inline speed skates.’
- ‘I'm sure the people kept wondering, ‘Why struggle with those blades when the quads are so much better?’’
A small metal block in various sizes, lower than type height, used in letterpress printing for filling up short lines.
Abbreviation of the late 17th-century printing term quadrat.
Quadruple or quadraphonic.
- ‘Last year I landed my first quad toe loop.’
- ‘Kurt Browning had a quad toe loop when he turned pro.’
- ‘When I was 19 or 20, I learned the quad toe loop.’
- ‘But the two-time World bronze medalist stumbled on a second quad toe, doubled the loop.’
- ‘Gao is using a quad toe/triple toe combination in both his short and long program.’