1A coastal region with a subtropical climate and vegetation.‘Poor in resources it may be, but the riviera, which in Italian simply means shore, in Liguria becomes The Riviera, a rocky, hauntingly lovely strip of coastline connecting France to Tuscany.’
- ‘The Dalmatian riviera in Croatia is fast becoming the place to be seen.’
- ‘Trieste sits on the Italian riviera, near the Slovenian border and at the foot of the Alps, terraced with peach coloured villas.’
- ‘Western Liguria is home to the Italian riviera and the eastern side borders Tuscany.’
- ‘Holiday destination to none other than the Blair family, Sharm el Sheikh is also know as the Red Sea riviera.’
- 1.1the RivieraPart of the Mediterranean coastal region of southern France and northern Italy, extending from Cannes to La Spezia, famous for its beauty, mild climate, and fashionable resorts.
Mid 17th century (denoting the coast of the Republic of Genoa): from Italian, literally ‘seashore’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips