The chemical element of atomic number 44, a hard silvery-white metal of the transition series.
- ‘To this group belong the important steel alloying elements nickel and manganese, as well as cobalt and the inert metals ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, iridium and platinum.’
- ‘It is also classified with a group of similar metals, including ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, and iridium, with similar properties.’
- ‘That porous layer, which contains stabilized zirconia and small amounts of the metals ruthenium and cerium, chemically and cleanly converts the fuel to hydrogen.’
- ‘Zirconium, palladium, and ruthenium make up a metal that repairs itself.’
- ‘Along with ruthenium, rhodium, osmium, iridium, and platinum, it belongs to the platinum group of metals.’
Mid 19th century modern Latin, from medieval Latin Ruthenia (see Ruthenia), so named because it was discovered in ores from the Urals.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips