nounmass noun vulgar slang
1Faeces.excrement, bodily waste, waste matter, ordure, dung, manure, scat
- 1.1count noun An act of defecating.excretion, discharging faeces, excreting faeces, passing faeces, evacuation of one's bowels, opening one's bowels, going to the lavatory
- 1.2the shitsDiarrhoea.
- 1.1count noun An act of defecating.
2count noun A contemptible or worthless person.scoundrel, villain, rogue, rascal, brute, animal, weasel, snake, monster, ogre, wretch, devil, good-for-nothing, reprobate, wrongdoer, evil-doer
3Something worthless; rubbish; nonsense.
nonsense, balderdash, gibberish, claptrap, blarney, blather, blether, moonshine
- ‘this book is shit’
- 3.1Unpleasant experiences or treatment.
painful experience, unpleasant experience, trial, tribulation, test, nightmare, trauma, baptism of fire, hell, hell on earth, misery, trouble, difficulty, torture, torment, agony
- ‘I went through a lot of shit last year’
4Things or stuff, especially personal belongings.
belongings, possessions, stuff, property, worldly goods, goods, personal effects, effects, paraphernalia, impedimenta, bits and pieces, bits and bobs
- ‘he left his shit at my flat’
- 4.1Events or circumstances.
events, happenings, affairs, business
- ‘some crazy shit happened last night’
5An intoxicating drug, especially cannabis.narcotic, stimulant, hallucinogen, addictive drug, recreational drug, illegal drug, substance
1no object Expel faeces from the body.excrete, discharge faeces, excrete faeces, pass faeces, have a bowel movement, have a BM, evacuate one's bowels, open one's bowels, void excrement, relieve oneself, go to the lavatory
- 1.1shit oneselfwith object Soil one's clothes as a result of expelling faeces accidentally.
- 1.2shit oneselfwith object Be very frightened.
2with object Tease or try to deceive (someone).
3shit onno object Show contempt or disregard for.
An exclamation of disgust, anger, or annoyance.
- as — as shit
Possessing the specified quality to a high degree (used for emphasis).
Be outstandingly good or impressive.
Used to indicate that something is blatantly obvious.
An exclamation expressing anger or contempt for, or rejection of, someone.
For no reason except to amuse oneself; for fun.
Organize oneself so as to be able to deal with or achieve something.
Make someone annoyed or angry.
Very bad or badly.
- ‘drummers get treated like shit’
- ‘I felt like shit this morning’
- ‘Hearing that made me feel like shit.’
- ‘Heading into the bathroom to go pee, I noticed that I looked like shit.’
- ‘I knew that the music sounded like shit.’
- ‘I was treated like shit by the people who played, because I couldn't kick a ball anymore.’
- ‘Mila woke up feeling like shit.’
Lose one's composure.
Used as a way of confirming or seeking confirmation of the truth of a statement.
Said humorously to express the view that someone is stating something that is completely obvious.
- ‘there are a few worrying findings: the first is that congestion causes stress (no shit, Sherlock) and the second says that traffic jams may cause brain damage’
1970s with ironic reference to the famously perceptive fictional detective Sherlock Holmes.
Not care at all.
Not know anything.
Be extremely nervous or frightened.
A stupid person.
When the disastrous consequences of something become public.
Do something to an excessive or extreme degree.
US vulgar slang
mainly Australian, mainly New Zealand vulgar slang, informal
US vulgar slang
mainly North American vulgar slang
Old English scitte ‘diarrhoea’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch schijten, German scheissen (verb). The term was originally neutral and used without vulgar connotation.