A video game that simulates an activity such as flying an aircraft or playing a sport.
- ‘a flight sim’
- ‘There are also quite a few flight sims that simulate modern or historic aircraft.’
- ‘The core gameplay concept is team action strategy, a three-tier model that combines aspects of action space sims, tactical naval sims, and RTS games.’
- ‘But I honestly don't see myself getting excited by sports sims.’
- ‘I have to give them a perfect score - because as flight sims go, this one has no peer.’
- ‘Despite the constant punishment, 2004 is still one of the most technically accurate, strategy-intensive hockey sims around.’
1980s abbreviation of simulation (see simulate).
A smart card inside a mobile phone, carrying an identification number unique to the owner, storing personal data, and preventing operation if removed.‘When a phone is stolen, the owner's account-details of which are stored on the SIM card slotted into the phone-is frozen.’
- ‘Pitchford said she had the ‘shock of her life’ when one of the youths asked her to remove her SIM card and hand over her cellphone.’
- ‘Many carriers use the SIM card (subscriber identity module) or smart card.’
- ‘Apparently it wouldn't turn on (since the battery was dead), so he removed the SIM card from the phone and put it into his.’
- ‘I have just stuck an Australian SIM card in my mobile phone.’
1980s acronym from subscriber identification module.