Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
nouninformal Australian, New Zealand usually with negative
The smallest bit.
small portion, small piece, piece, portion, segment, section, part
- ‘there's not a skerrick of food in the house’
- ‘There is not a skerrick of evidence that that will happen.’
- ‘No amount of consultancy reports will make one skerrick of difference.’
- ‘They finished looking and left disgruntled having not found a skerrick.’
- ‘There is not a skerrick of hope of a solution in this bill - not a hope in Hades.’
- ‘Nobody has ever heard of that member over there doing any work at all - not a skerrick of work.’
Early 19th century of unknown origin. The word is also recorded as an English slang term meaning ‘halfpenny’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips