1The action of breaking suddenly and completely, typically with a sharp cracking sound.
- ‘the snapping of a twig startled her from her reverie’
- 1.1A sharp cracking sound or sounds.
- ‘the only sound in the room was the snapping of the fire’
1Making a sharp cracking sound or sounds.‘the snapping snare drum’
- ‘there was suddenly a hard crunch, followed by a snapping sound’
- 1.1(of an animal) making sudden audible bites.‘he leapt into the air to avoid the snapping jaws of a crocodile’
- ‘this snapping, nasty little dog’
2(of a person) taking snapshots.
- ‘they were surrounded by snapping photographers eager to catch the moment’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips