Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
A plant of a genus that comprises the cordgrasses.
Genus Spartina, family Gramineae‘Determined to get a river view, I climbed a high bank and looked across windswept spartina grass.’
- ‘Decaying spartina grass breaks into small pieces called detritus fueling the bottom of the food chain.’
- ‘These are the mudflats that the alien spartina we have introduced is now turning to meadows.’
- ‘The spartina grass excretes salt crystals in order to survive the high salinity of sea water.’
- ‘At low tide sea oats and spartina grasses bend before the breeze.’
- ‘Each acre of spartina grass produces four tons of organic matter, which works its way into the food chain through algae until big fish are eating little fish and birds are eating the fish.’
Modern Latin, from Greek spartinē ‘rope’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips