Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Abnormal enlargement of the spleen.
- ‘Physical examination revealed normal growth and vital signs, no icterus, lymphadenopathy, ascites, splenomegaly, or other systemic abnormal findings.’
- ‘Two helpful tips the authors present are that lymphangitic streaking is often consistent with cutaneous infection, and that splenomegaly is rare in metastatic cancer.’
- ‘When I see patients with chronic syndromes where they have splenomegaly and disease progression over time, I always consider sarcoidosis.’
- ‘In infiltrative diseases or other causes of chronic splenomegaly (like cirrhosis, lymphoma, and sarcoid) the spleen is very firm, often approaching the hardness of the cirrhotic liver.’
- ‘These include mononucleosis, leukemia, splenomegaly, Hodgkin's disease, AIDS and all the various types of anemias.’
Early 20th century from splen-‘spleen’ + Greek megas, megal- ‘great’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips