An overzealous or obsessive fan of a particular celebrity.
- ‘he has millions of stans who are obsessed with him and call him a rap god’
- ‘I swear I've been a stan of hers since I was five.’
- ‘The charging infrastructure isn't widespread enough to justify long-distance travel yet, so it's not an even trade unless you're a Tesla stan.’
- ‘I'm an Outkast stan, so pretty much anything and everything they've done makes me happy.’
- ‘I'm not a stan, but she looks fine to me.’
- ‘What's with celeb stans getting so wild?’
verbstans, stanning, stanned[no object]informal
Be an overzealous or obsessive fan of a particular celebrity.
- ‘y'all know I stan for Katy Perry, so I was excited to see the artwork for her upcoming album’
Early 21st century with allusion to the 2000 song ‘Stan’ by the American rapper Eminem, about an obsessed fan.
A central Asian country with a name that ends in -stan, in particular one of the republics that were formerly part of the Soviet Union.‘the stans are suddenly the focus of intense attention in Washington and Moscow’
- ‘the documentary goes to two other of the stans but talks about the region’
1930s from -stan, used in the names of countries such as Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, etc., from Persian stan ‘place, country’.