A skin disease of horses caused by the presence of the larvae of a parasitic worm.‘swamp cancer continues to affect horses in northern areas’
- ‘The horses stand hock-deep in water and develop swamp cancer.’
- ‘Her hooves need attention, and there's a swamp cancer on her neck which should be frozen off.’
- ‘These larvae were formerly thought to cause swamp cancer.’
- ‘Veterinarians in north Queensland see many horses suffering from swamp cancer.’
- ‘A friend of mine's horse has had swamp cancer twice.’
Late 19th century from the popular belief that the disease is associated with swampy areas.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips