Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1The fine down of a swan, used for trimmings and powder puffs.‘Everything about her shimmers and shines, all softened by beautiful white swansdown and feathers.’
- ‘On the chest, there is a shaped cloth panel which is decorated with swansdown, rhinestones and mirrors.’
- ‘It was a fancy version of the scarf and could be made of swansdown or fur.’
- ‘A very light rouleau of swansdown bordered the corsage and the fronts of the dress.’
2A thick cotton fabric with a soft nap on one side.
- ‘The weavers emigrated to the Austrian Low Countries, especially to Mouscron, where production of swansdown was allowed since 1758.’
- 2.1A soft, thick fabric made from wool mixed with a little silk or cotton.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips