Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
The terse, abbreviated style of language used in telegrams.
- ‘Curiously enough, however, as an aid to memory in the spelling of words the telegraphese is useful.’
- ‘In fact, unquote should really be end quote: unquote is a relic of telegraphese - but let's not get too picky.’
- ‘Would this be an appropriate moment to draw to your attention the interesting case of postcardese, a derivative of telegraphese perhaps.’
- ‘The telegraph girl should be discreet and show no interest in meaning; her task is translate English or whatever language into telegraphese.’
- ‘ASAP - as soon as possible - is one of the remnants of telegraphese.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips