Relating to the rounded fleshy part of the hand at the base of the thumb (the ball of the thumb)‘the muscles of the thenar eminence’
- ‘The nerve also supplies a branch to the muscles of the thumb, the thenar muscles.’
- ‘Shaking the patient's hand at the end of the consultation, the doctor noticed a raised lesion on the thenar eminence of his right hand.’
- ‘Wasting of the thenar muscle occurs in under 10% of cases.’
- ‘Decreased grip strength may result in loss of dexterity, and thenar muscle atrophy may develop if the syndrome is severe.’
- ‘Although it is uncommon, swelling in the thenar or midpalmar spaces of the hand suggests an infectious etiology.’
Mid 17th century from Greek, literally ‘palm of the hand, sole of the foot’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips