A minute black winged insect which sucks plant sap and can be a serious pest of ornamental and food plants when present in large numbers. Thrips swarm on warm still summer days and cause irritation by crawling on the skin.
Order Thysanoptera: many species, including the pea thrips (Kakothrips robustus), which can cause considerable losses to pea crops‘Insects such as ants, mealy bugs and thrips have been found in 37 out of 43 shipments, which then needed fumigation.’
- ‘Here, we present the entire nucleotide sequence of the mt genome of the plague thrips, Thrips imaginis (Thysanoptera).’
- ‘The most common insect pests of scallions are thrips, which arrive in mid-June and are a particular problem in dry weather, and occasionally cutworms or armyworms.’
- ‘Terebrantia, the pest thrips, lay their eggs inside the plant's epidermis, the results of which can drive you mad trying to get rid of them.’
- ‘Inspect your plants regularly for insects such as aphids, thrips, whiteflies, and other noxious pests, whether indoors or outdoors.’
- ‘Stunted rose buds or flowers are usually a sign of thrips, a silvery insect that is almost too tiny to see.’
Late 18th century via Latin from Greek, literally ‘woodworm’.