Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A large New Zealand coniferous tree which yields useful timber.
Podocarpus totara, family Podocarpaceae
- ‘The lush branches of the totara, matai and kahikatea trees blocked out all remaining light and I was left alone in a dark, unfamiliar forest.’
- ‘Trees in the bush include kahikitea, rimu, thin-barked totara, matai and miro.’
- ‘Growing around them were matai, totara and rimu trees, home to native pigeons, tui, bellbirds, and fantails.’
- ‘The forest on the island is southern New Zealand podocarp mix with rimu, southern rata, kamahi, totara and miro.’
- ‘The parakeets strip the bark off the rimu and the totara to get at the juice.’
Mid 19th century from Maori tótara.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips