Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
1A Russian vehicle pulled by a team of three horses abreast.
- ‘A ride through the forests on a troika - a sleigh pulled by three horses - is a real treat.’
- ‘Chekhov recounts how his horse-driven tarantass, an uncomfortable springless carriage, almost collided with three post troikas racing in the opposite direction, drivers asleep at the reins - it was nearly a fatal collision.’
- ‘We've arranged for you a full programme of guided sightseeing and seasonal activities, including a magnificent ballet performance and a real Troika ride to make your trip an unforgettable treat for the magical New Year season!’
- 1.1A team of three horses for a troika.‘The troika of horses trotted bravely forward, and presently the bridge thundered under the combined weight of the hooves and wheels.’
2A group of three people working together, especially in an administrative or managerial capacity.
- ‘The decision to suspend the country was made by the troika consisting of the President of Nigeria, the Prime Minister of Australia, and the President of South Africa.’
- ‘Indeed, this is only one example of the kind of pressure that the troika exerted on multilateral bodies.’
- ‘The leader, on taking his position as the third member of the ruling troika, made it clear that this was little more than a pipe dream as he declared himself ‘very comfortable’ with the agreement that had been reached.’
- ‘Together, the Council presidency, High Representative, and Commissioner for External Affairs form a troika which represents the EU as a whole in international diplomacy.’
- ‘They aggressively courted famous personalities, landing on a troika who were almost completely new to electoral politics.’
- ‘He is a member of a Commonwealth troika, which includes the Nigerian President and the Australian Prime Minister, which must consider the Commonwealth report and decide on action.’
- ‘Together this troika provided the professional ballast which was essential if Churchill's strategic imagination was to remain tethered to reality.’
- ‘Speculation is rife about which minister deserves promotion to make up the missing third in the troika of Deputy Prime Ministers.’
- ‘The third member of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations troika is Malaysia.’
- ‘He heads a Commonwealth troika tasked with taking action on the country following controversial elections held in March.’
- ‘He and the journal prospered, and in 1977 he turned it over to a troika of executive editors.’
- ‘He was one of a troika of Commonwealth leaders who recommended suspension.’
- ‘By now, everyone has noticed the total lack of response by this troika to the terrorism crisis.’
- ‘People will forget the troika in a few months,’ he predicted.’
- ‘The troika had achieved something that no international-relief agency, no high-tech software company, no bent-for-leather military group had accomplished.’
Russian, from troe ‘set of three’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips