1(especially of a part of the body) swollen.‘a tumid belly’
expanded, distended, bulging, inflamed, inflated, enlarged, dilated, bloated, blown-up, puffed up, puffy, ballooning, protruding, prominent, stretched, tumescentView synonyms
- ‘What was he doing easing my friend up across his tumid belly and onto his lap?’
- ‘The rights to a future project currently sit in the directors tumid billfold.’
- ‘It has a tumid rounded shape.’
- ‘Plate surfaces more commonly exhibit a prominent tumid center.’
- ‘The jungle is dense, tumid, and bejeweled with parrots.’
2(especially of language or literary style) pompous or bombastic.
bombastic, pompous, turgid, overblown, overripe, inflated, high-flown, affected, pretentious, grandiose, florid, flowery, ornate, magniloquent, grandiloquent, rhetorical, oratorical, orotundView synonyms
- ‘tumid oratory’
Mid 16th century from Latin tumidus, from tumere ‘to swell’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips