nounplural noun umbilici/ʌmˈbɪlɪsʌɪ/ /ˌʌmbɪˈlʌɪsʌɪ/ , plural noun umbilicuses
The navel.‘A 22-gauge needle can be inserted in a Z-tract fashion, to minimize leakage of fluid after the paracentesis, in midline between the umbilicus and the pubis symphysis in order to avoid collateral vessels.’
- ‘Conventional colorectal surgery was performed through a vertical midline incision that extended from 5 cm to 10 cm above the umbilicus to the mons pubis.’
- ‘He has a palpable ‘olive’ above the umbilicus near midline and he is severely dehydrated.’
- ‘The incision is made either horizontally just above the pubic bone (around the top of a bikini line) or vertically from just below the umbilicus (belly button) down to the pubic bone.’
- ‘The normal umbilicus is symmetrically indented into the abdominal wall, though it may be nearly flat in very slender people.’
A depression or hole at the centre of the shell whorls of some gastropod molluscs and many ammonites.‘Only in conch thickness do they show a relatively wide variability, ranging from pachyconic conchs with moderately wide umbilici to extremely slender, oxyconic conchs with closed umbilici.’
- ‘A coiled conch develops a closed umbilicus only when certain very limited conditions are fulfilled, thus permitting only very limited degrees of freedom.’
- ‘Paosia differs from the enigmatic and poorly defined Pterodonta by having a much less globose adult last whorl, lower spire, anterior end of outer lip projected and incurved, a more sinuous growth line, and in lacking an umbilicus.’
- ‘One side of the shell is nearly flat, and the opposite side is concave because of the wide umbilicus.’
- ‘Such a high value can only be realized in conchs with very low WER and a small umbilicus.’
- 2.1A hole at each end of the hollow shaft of a feather.
- ‘The main feather may have an afterfeather attached to it, arising from the underside of the feather at the superior umbilicus.’
Late 17th century from Latin related to Greek omphalos, also to navel.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips