Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1Secure or fasten from the underside, especially by a rope or chain passed underneath.
- 1.1 formal Provide support or a firm basis for.‘that's a philosophy that needs to undergird retailers' business plans this year’
- ‘Some are, some aren't, depending on the philosophical basis which undergird those theories.’
- ‘Her primary argument that passion undergirds all vital human endeavor and is the underlying basis for all human motivation/action leads to her overall conclusion.’
- ‘Until there are some real human institutions undergirding their society, they need a semi-authoritarian center.’
- ‘The church lent its ideological support to the state; the state undergirded the authority of the church with its secular power; neither interfered in the other's affairs.’
- ‘This issue undergirds every one of our human interactions.’
- 1.1 formal Provide support or a firm basis for.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips