Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1Australian informal A person who gives tips at a race meeting.
- ‘Anyway, this place has the hardest working tout or urger or whatever they're called in Australia.’
- 1.1A person who takes advantage of others; a racketeer.
racketeer, extortioner, extorter, profiteer, exploiter, blackmailer, black marketeer
- ‘he was a free enterprise man—he thought all unionists were urgers’
- ‘A short acquaintance with Frank Hardy was enough to establish him as a typical bar-room urger.’
- ‘But totalist urgers can never be satisfied - they want it to go on forever.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips