Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
nounplural noun uvulae/ˈjuːvjʊliː/ , plural noun uvulas
1(also palatine uvula)Anatomy
A fleshy extension at the back of the soft palate which hangs above the throat.‘The patient's tongue, soft palate, and uvula were burned.’
- ‘The surgery, in which the uvula and soft palate are resectioned, requires a two-day hospital stay and two weeks of recovery time.’
- ‘In some people, the tongue and the uvula at the back of the throat block airflow to the lungs during sleep.’
- ‘A laser device is used to remove the uvula and part of the soft palate.’
- ‘The tissues at the back of the throat may be bulky or the uvula be too long.’
- 1.1A fleshy hanging structure in an organ of the body, particularly one at the opening of the bladder.
- ‘The uvula of the bladder may be considered as forming the anterior boundary of the trigone.’
Late Middle English from late Latin, diminutive of Latin uva ‘grape’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips