Having or showing a great or excessive fondness for one's wife.‘he had always impressed me as home-loving and uxorious’
- ‘An uxorious man, he had brought to Australia his wife Vanessa, despite her phobia about flying.’
- ‘He was an almost perfect spouse - uxorious, hard working, a good provider; gentle.’
- ‘Domingo is highly courtly and uxorious towards her, despite the abounding stories of affairs.’
- ‘He is famously uxorious but seldom lets the cameras catch a glimpse of Moira, his wife.’
- ‘Both are uxorious men, both delight in their young families.’
Late 16th century from Latin uxoriosus, from uxor ‘wife’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips