1The level normally reached by the water on the side of a ship.
- ‘Once in their midst, passengers standing one deck above the waterline looked directly down as the dolphins played in the bow wave, while a few yards away others rolled on their sides and even breached.’
- 1.1The level reached by the sea or a river visible as a line on a rock face, beach, or riverbank.‘he was coming back along the waterline with the dog trotting at his heels’
- ‘After checking another cage Greg pointed with his paddle to a dry waterline eight feet up one of the stumps.’
- ‘We start in the library, the waterline there only a couple of feet high in a city where some houses were up their eaves in water.’
- ‘The river, still carrying debris from recent rains, has dropped eight feet; I can see the old waterline on the trees.’
- 1.2Any of various structural lines of a ship, parallel with the surface of the water, representing the contour of the hull at various heights above the keel.
2A linear watermark in paper.
3The rim of the upper or lower eyelid between the lashes and the eye itself (especially with reference to the application of eye make-up)‘line the waterline with the black eyeliner’
- ‘To make your eyes look bigger, use a peach pencil on your waterline.’
- ‘Trace a V-shape at the inner corner of your eye, continuing the line beneath your waterline along your lower lashline.’
- ‘Run a flesh-tone eyeliner along your lower waterline.’
- ‘Using a black pencil, draw a line on the bottom waterline.’
- ‘Kate lined her waterline in emerald, making her brown eyes pop.’
- ‘I line my waterline with a black pencil, and then use gold as a highlight along my lower lash line.’
- ‘Smudge a dark eye pencil inside the waterline.’
- ‘Tracing along the lower waterline and around the inner corners of my eyes, I applied the pencil as close to my eyeball as possible.’
- ‘To add some depth to my eyes, I applied the eyeliner on my upper and lower waterlines.’
- ‘For a more dramatic look, Margaret emphasises the eyes with a dark brown eyeliner across the waterline and above the top lash line.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips