Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A large freshwater catfish that occurs from central Europe to central Asia. It has been known to reach a length of 5 m and a weight of over 300 kg.
Silurus glanis, family Siluridae
- ‘The longest (although not the heaviest) catfish is the wels, but it is an unprepossessing fish of no great merit.’
- ‘As our only widespread catfish species, the wels is unlikely to be mistaken for any other fish.’
- ‘There are about 4000 different types of catfish in the world but the best known in Europe, and the most accessible to the UK angler is the wels catfish.’
- ‘Included amongst these are varieties of carp, barbel, zander and of course for those who are brave enough, the mighty wels catfish.’
- ‘Though there are some 28 species, ranging in size from 10-inches to a record 16 1/2 foot wels found in Europe and Russia, the most prolific and commercially desirable fish are the channel and blue varieties, most of which are ‘pan size.’’
Late 19th century from German Wels.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips