Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
adjectiveScottish, Northern English
Lacking flavour; weak or insipid.
tasteless, flavourless, unflavoured, savourless, bland, weak, thin, watery, watered-down, unappetizing, unpalatable
- ‘The hares here are wersh and tough.’
- ‘A kiss and a drink of water is but a wersh breakfast.’
- ‘The soul sickens at the monotonous sweetness of such a wersh existence.’
- ‘He was a wersh-lookin' soul, and I couldna understand the half o' his English tongue.’
- ‘He tried a sip of the beer but he disliked it even more than the whisky: it had a wersh insipid flavour.’
Late 15th century of uncertain origin.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips