Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
- ‘There, the strains of the hymns all but drowned the chaffinches and the cries of the whaups.’
- ‘The whaups were crying, but none came near him, though he looked hard for the bird that had spoken with him.’
- ‘A bird known as the whaup is, in fact, the curlew, a long-beaked bird which you can find online in pictures.’
- ‘It was late March, 1890, and the whaups were crying a new spring over the braes of Mauricewood, when they brought out the men from the east face.’
- ‘I must return, perhaps in the spring when whaups and laverocks call on a warm wind.’
Mid 16th century imitative of the bird's cry.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips