Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A mineral, typically greenish-yellow and fluorescent, consisting of a silicate of zinc.
- ‘Associated minerals can include cerussite, anglesite, pyromorphite, smithsonite, hemimorphite, wulfenite, willemite, vanadinite, descloizite, caledonite, and others.’
- ‘Hemimorphite, cerussite, willemite, and chrysocolla occur in all the mines.’
- ‘Local collectors had tentatively identified it as willemite or smithsonite, based perhaps on the occurrence of botryoidal blue hemimorphite at the same locality.’
- ‘It has been found with mimetite, bromargyrite, aurichalcite, willemite, and murdochite.’
- ‘Associated species are many and include franklinite, willemite, marsturite, and manganaxinite.’
Mid 19th century from the name of Willem I (1772–1843), king of the Netherlands, + -ite.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips