Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A mineral consisting of zinc sulphide, typically occurring as brownish-black pyramidal crystals.
- ‘Barite, sphalerite, and calcite are the most abundant vein minerals; pyrite, kaolinite, chalcopyrite, galena, and wurtzite are less common.’
- ‘Vein minerals are barite, calcite, chalcopyrite, kaolinite, pyrite, sphalerite, and wurtzite.’
- ‘The Yaogangxian mine is a world-class locality for not only fluorite but also for arsenopyrite, bournonite, stannite, wurtzite, and ferberite.’
- ‘Sphalerite is trimorphous with matraite and wurtzite.’
- ‘Fine specimens of wurtzite, stannite, bismuthinite, and franckeite are relatively common at Llallagua.’
Mid 19th century from the name of Charles A. Wurtz (1817–84), French chemist, + -ite.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips