Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
(chiefly in science fiction) the scientific study of alien biology, cultures, etc.
- ‘According to published hypotheses, this distribution might result from vertical inheritance of ancestral genes via speciation, from one or more horizontal transfers (xenology), or from a mixture of both.’
- ‘Molecular homologies can reflect the phylogeny of either species or genes and can reveal a complexity of pattern unknown in morphology, with orthology contributing to species phylogenies and paralogy and xenology contributing to gene phylogenies.’
- ‘1 Postmodernism is highlighted by an emphatically interdisciplinary nature: we can be certain that we won't be seeing departments of xenology being set up at universities.’
- ‘An illustration of xenology due to horizontal gene transfer.’
- ‘The proposed approach to terrestrial xenology has the attractive advantage not to require complex and sometimes very artificial scenarios for the early history of the Earth.’
1950s from Greek xenos ‘stranger, foreigner’, (adjective) ‘strange’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips