Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The lowest part of the sternum; the xiphoid process.
- ‘In brief, a small incision was made on the skin below the xiphisternum towards the left from the midline.’
- ‘Incorrect placement of the hands is more likely to cause rib fractures, and if the hands are placed too low over the xiphisternum this may increase the risk of injury to the abdominal organs.’
- ‘At 28 weeks, the fundal height lies at the lower third of the distance between the xiphisternum and umbilicus.’
- ‘The xiphoid process, also known as the xiphisternum is a small cartilaginous extension to the lower part of the sternum.’
- ‘You perform the sternotomy from the sternal notch to the xiphisternum.’
Mid 19th century from Greek xiphos ‘sword’ + sternum.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips