Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The vascular tissue in plants which conducts water and dissolved nutrients upwards from the root and also helps to form the woody element in the stem.
- ‘Generally, a high recycling from xylem to phloem was observed in the old parts of the shoot.’
- ‘The conducting tissues within the vascular bundles are the xylem and phloem.’
- ‘The estimation of the water uptake and water flow in xylem and phloem was outlined by Jiang et al..’
- ‘In multicellular plants fluxes to and from roots via xylem and phloem further complicate the situation.’
- ‘Stained cells corresponding to immature xylem were detected in vascular bundles of flowers and fruits.’
Late 19th century from Greek xulon ‘wood’ + the passive suffix -ēma.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips