1A member of an East African people living to the east and south of Lake Nyasa.‘The Yao have lived in northern Mozambique (formerly Portuguese East Africa).’‘When Arabs arrived on the east coast of Africa they began trading with the Yao people.’
2mass noun The Bantu language of the Yao, with over a million speakers.‘In the north, the Bantu languages of Yao and Makua predominate; in the Zambezi Valley, it is Nyanja is the dominant languages; and in the south, Tsonga is spoken.’‘They speak a Bantu language also known as Chiyao("Yao language", chi meaning "language").’
Relating to the Yao or their language.‘The Yao traders from west of Lake Malawi began to reach the coast around Kilwa in the late sixteenth century.’‘A group of 61000 people on the island of Hainan speak the Yao language Kim Mun, but see themselves as Miao (Hmong).’
The local name.
1A member of a mountain-dwelling people of the Guangxi, Hunan, Yunnan, Guangdong, and Guizhou provinces of China.
- ‘Farther north are the Makonde near the coast and the Yao near Lake Malawi.’
- ‘Minority groups in this small, mountainous country include the Mon-Khmer, the Yao, and the Hmong.’
- ‘Some other scholars have argued that it may have derived from a script used by a non-Chinese people living nearby, called the Yao.’
- ‘The Yao of Liannan are dominated by the Bai-Yao and the Guoshan-Yao.’
- ‘After hearing Diesel's mockery of an Asian accent, Yao told reporters that Chinese in fact was difficult to learn he struggled to master it himself.’
- ‘Geddes contributed the study on the Hmong, Miles worked amongst the Yao, and I amongst the Karen, after two years as full-time adviser.’
- ‘In 1836 the Yao of Hunan, under White Lotus preachers, started a fitful war of resistance which flared up once more in 1855 during the chaos of the Taiping Rebellion.’
- ‘China has scores of so-called ‘minority’ ethnic groups - Tibetan, Kirghiz, Yao, Uigur and many more.’
- ‘Geddes' master plan was for there to be studies of each of the ‘six main hill tribes’, identified as Hmong, Yao, Karen, Lisu, Lahu and Akha.’
2mass noun The language of the Yao.‘Five percent of the people speak Yao, and 30 percent speak Arabic.’Also called Mien
Relating to the Yao or their language.
- ‘This Yao village is located at the foot of a mountain with a beautiful river zig-zagging around it.’
- ‘Although the local government has built new houses at lower elevations for them, Yao people are more accustomed to living in high places.’
- ‘It is also a very scenic route, with spectacular landscapes, vegetation, and historical ruins as well as typical Yao villages, temples, and other tourist attractions.’
From Chinese Yáo, literally ‘precious jade’.