A fashionable young middle-class person with a well-paid job.
worldly, consumerist, money-oriented, money-grubbing
- ‘stereotypical 1980s yuppies obsessed with material objects and financial success’
- ‘a yuppie type from the bank’
- ‘The yuppie crowds love the concept and organisers swear that these events are extremely popular.’
- ‘There were even people playing football in the yuppie village this evening.’
- ‘Harlem is a relatively harmless, rather dull patch of a great city still garnering a tiny cachet among the local yuppies because it used to have quite a spunky black community.’
- ‘This hotel in Shivajinagar had for years remained outside the loop for the partying yuppy crowd.’
- ‘I was born too late to be a yuppy, too early to be generation X, or a member of the Chemical Generation.’
1980s elaboration of the acronym from young urban professional.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips