Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
An antiviral drug used in the treatment of AIDS. It slows the growth of HIV infection in the body, but is not curative.
A thymidine derivative; chemical formula: C₁₀H₁₃N₅O₄
- ‘The drug is indicated for use in patients unresponsive to or intolerant of zidovudine, zalcitabine, or didanosine.’
- ‘Intestinal absorption of penicillin, captopril, ciprofloxacin, quinidine and zidovudine was reported to be reduced when given with food.’
- ‘Aids patients can get a manic syndrome related to the use of ganciclovir, zidovudine, and fluoxetine, which may respond to lithium.’
- ‘PC scientists previously studied the effects of zidovudine use by the mother during pregnancy or by the newborn.’
- ‘A medicine called zidovudine can reduce the rate of passing HIV from mother to baby by two thirds.’
1980s; arbitrary alteration of azidothymidine.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips