Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
nounzonae pellucidaeAnatomy Zoology
The thick transparent membrane surrounding a mammalian ovum before implantation.
- ‘At this stage the embryo releases itself from the zona pellucida still surrounding it, and implants into the uterine wall.’
- ‘The embryo must hatch out of the zona pellucida prior to implantation into the uterine wall.’
- ‘The secondary oocyte and the polar body remain surrounded by the zona pellucida and the cumulus oophorus.’
- ‘The scientists drilled through the egg's protective layer, the zona pellucida, removed a plug, and then extracted the DNA and polar body through the hole.’
- ‘The onset of hyperactive movement occurs near the site of fertilization and is crucial for penetrating the egg's zona pellucida.’
Mid 19th century from Latin, literally ‘pellucid girdle’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips