Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A black and white carnivorous mammal that resembles a skunk, inhabiting arid regions of southern Africa.
Ictonyx striatus, family Mustelidae
- ‘Very little is known about the social life of wild zorillas, and they appear to be mainly solitary.’
- ‘Many zorilla families have been kept together in captivity, where mutual grooming appears common.’
- ‘With its long claws, the zorilla digs feverishly after the prize, alternately sinking its nose into the ground until it comes up munching.’
- ‘Their smell is so strong, most larger animals avoid them, and about the only time zorillas aren't alone is during mating season.’
- ‘The zorilla is a nocturnal predator that inhabits scrub, forest and grassland in southern and eastern Africa.’
Late 18th century via French from Spanish zorrilla, diminutive of zorro ‘fox’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips