A diploid cell resulting from the fusion of two haploid gametes; a fertilized ovum.‘A brief exposure to chloroform vapors kills vegetative cells but not zygotes.’
- ‘In charophytes, the first cell division of the zygote is meiosis, and their plant body is gametophytic.’
- ‘Those 10 frozen little 16 or 32 cell zygotes will never be used for anything else.’
- ‘Early embryonic development in many plants is characterized by asymmetric cell division of the zygote, which specifies apical and basal regions.’
- ‘The fusion of egg and sperm restores the diploid chromosome number in the zygote.’
- ‘Conjugation frequencies were calculated by dividing the number of zygotes (one zygote counted as two cells) by the total number of cells present.’
Late 19th century from Greek zugōtos ‘yoked’, from zugoun ‘to yoke’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips