Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Hydrogen cyanide adsorbed on or released from a carrier in the form of small tablets, used as an insecticidal fumigant and by the Nazis as a lethal gas.
- ‘The Nazis used Zyklon B, a dreaded chemical, to gas prisoners at Auschwitz.’
- ‘While the commanding officer was away, a guard at Auschwitz used the delousing chemical Zyklon B on some prisoners.’
- ‘In autumn 1941, the first gassing experiments in Auschwitz itself take place, using Zyklon B, a powerful disinfectant used to delouse clothes.’
- ‘They do not even deny that Zyklon B gas was employed at Auschwitz, but they claim it was used for delousing rather than homicidal purposes.’
- ‘By 1941, Zyklon B, a form of prussic acid, was being used at the camp at Auschwitz to gas prisoners.’
1930s from German, of unknown origin.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips