The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
verbo reflexivo pronominal
1humillarserebajarseto abase oneself before God — inclinarse humildemente ante Dios
- They find a secret delight in abasing themselves before men of violence.
- It's an icky daddy-daughter comedy featuring character actors abasing themselves horribly for the money.
- The more politics abases itself before the values of TV entertainment, the less it represents the real political process.
- I abased myself in such a way that it makes me cringe to even remember it.
- Their president abased himself with ritual abject apologies.
- But my brother abased himself intellectually the same way they all did.
- Eleven million people took to the streets last weekend to show their solidarity in the face of terror, and two days later voted to abase themselves before it.
- Come fall, the rich and the powerful abase themselves for a seat in the owner's box.
- Heand his lawyers will need to seriously abase themselves before the Committee if he's going to escape a similar fate.
- And please let me, or any other liberal, know if there is anything else we can do to abase ourselves.
- She recently remarked that the adoption of foreign accents ‘for jobs in call centres shows how easily an ancient civilisation can be made to abase itself completely’.
- Thus he enters the dining room ready to abase himself because he disdains everyone else.
- When Fosca abases herself in front of the hero crying, ‘one loves a dog, an animal ‘she is both using emotional blackmail and exposing her raw passion.’
- Countless bank executives have abased themselves at her feet.
- Generally, those of the lower orders abased themselves through prostration in front of those who outranked them.
- No, Cyril, you need not kneel and abase yourself.
- Some protest that this affirmation comes at a cost: you cannot receive it unless you first abase yourself as a hopeless and helpless sinner in need of redemption.
- How these gestures will be interpreted by the electorate is not clear, but it is clear that they will do anything, even abase themselves in public, to gain power.
- How easily an ancient civilization can be made to abase itself completely.
- One begins to wonder perversely whether the artist will soon utterly abase herself before our eyes.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!