Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(of mammal)abdomen masculinevientre masculinea pain in the lower abdomen — un dolor en el bajo vientre
- It is quite common to develop a vertical, pigmented line on the skin of the abdomen below the belly button, which fades later.
- This is a long thin instrument with a light source at its tip, to light up the inside of the abdomen or pelvis.
- A high bowel obstruction will have a few dilated loops of small bowel in the abdomen.
- The patient, a father of four from a town near Haifa, had the artificial ventricle inserted into his abdomen.
- Debulking surgery left appreciable disease in the abdomen and a malignant pleural effusion.
- The pain develops quickly, and may also occur in the abdomen, and the scrotal skin discolours.
- It has been compared to magic fingers which reach into the interior of the abdomen and massage your organs.
- The hernia is pushed back through the gap into its proper place inside the abdomen and the gap is then closed with stitches.
- X-ray pictures of the abdomen can then show what is going on inside the bowel.
- The midwife or doctor may use a device placed on the abdomen to amplify the heartbeat.
- The surgeon will make a cut in your lower abdomen and remove your appendix.
- Mesothelioma is a rare form of carcinoma that occurs in the mesothelium lining lungs, abdomens and hearts.
- The colon is the large intestine or lower bowel and sits in the abdomen, forming the last part of the digestive tract.
- Abdominal pain concurrent with nausea points to the abdomen as the source of nausea.
- Girls with ovarian tumors may have abdominal pain and masses that can be felt in the abdomen.
- The main sign of an aortic aneurysm is a lump in the abdomen, high up and a little to the right, that pulses obviously with the heartbeat.
- This involves the removal of the gallbladder under general anaesthetic through a larger cut in the abdomen.
- Being overweight puts more pressure on the abdomen and the valve in the gullet.
- In some instances, a tight belt or other poorly fitted clothing can cause nerve root irritation, especially in physically unfit persons with protuberant abdomens.
- In fact, I just saw an ad for a Sauna Belt that makes you lose an inch on your abdomen in about a half hour.
2(of insect)abdomen masculine
- It has three pairs of true legs on the thorax and five pairs of fleshy prolegs on the abdomen.
- When they get peckish, the queens wag their abdomens across their nests, creating vibrations that ‘ask’ for a nutritious saliva snack.
- Attacked bees often have deformed wings and abdomens and a shortened life span.
- Females with eggs attached to their abdomens were transferred from the stock tanks to the female tank.
- Prior to metamorphosis, the caterpillars pack together and suspend themselves by the tips of their abdomens from the inner walls.