Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(habituated)to be accustomed to sth/-ing — estar acostumbrado a algo/+ infto become accustomed to sth/-ing — acostumbrarse / habituarse a algo/+ infto get accustomed to sth/-ing — acostumbrarse / habituarse a algo/+ infhe had grown accustomed to her presence — se había acostumbrado a su presencia
2(usual, customary)(politeness/skill) acostumbrado(squalor/meanness) acostumbrado
- You nodded to them to show you were fine, and then settled in your accustomed chair.
- I ordered all the drivers to carry out the accustomed work at the usual hours, which was done.
- We like to cuddle up in an accustomed environment, we tend to gravitate towards faces we can identify ourselves with.
- The results seemed excellent, and he found himself able to work again with his accustomed acumen and vigour.
- New Zealand threw into 10 lineouts and not once was the fly-half in the accustomed role of first receiver.
- This play between liminal and subliminal is an accustomed part of a novelist's technique.
- These are the poems of a man casting his accustomed cultural archaeological gaze on himself.
- Harry was already sleeping in his accustomed place and, unusually, Dolly came up to rest near my feet.
- My uncle's familiar voice filled with his accustomed brisk sternness answered.
- She rocked the gleaming harp towards her, nestling it into its accustomed spot on her right shoulder.
- Despite the foul weather, the hosts managed to keep the ball flowing in their accustomed style, and had a number of candidates for man of the match.
- Unable to take their accustomed walks beside the sea, people read books, leading to an increase in borrowing at Ipswich library.
- The strange look of anger on her face quickly subsided, and her accustomed cheer returned.
- Ian stood, his head down and eyes lowered, in his accustomed stance of subservience.
- But he sings with his accustomed passion and the voice is holding up very well.
- Thus, in many ways qualitative research cuts across the grain of accustomed research practice.
- What it wanted was its accustomed fare of light entertainment, something to help escape from the working week.
- Like Francis, most of the characters in this drama are today continuing in their accustomed roles.
- They were pushed out of their accustomed habitat and almost all began farming themselves.
- In assessing financial needs, a court will have regard to a person's age, health and accustomed standard of living.