The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
- There are also some 13,000 persons of Asian descent in South Africa who speak Afrikaans as their native language.
- As a further mark of its ethnic diversity, South Africa has 11 official languages, including Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, and Sotho.
- As something distinct from the Dutch of Holland, with all the classic features so typical of Afrikaans today, Cape Dutch is believed to have come into being by the middle of the 18th century.
- I was raised in what used to be the first language of South Africa, Afrikaans.
- Other elements in such a range of choices are the pidgins and Creoles of English in West Africa and of Afrikaans in South Africa and Namibia.
- As an African American woman, this was a unique experience because historically this university only catered to White South Africans who spoke Afrikaans.
- The leaflets have been published in seven of the eleven official language, namely: Afrikaans, Tsonga, Sesotho, Zulu, English, Venda and Xhosa.
- Many black South Africans don't speak and understand Afrikaans.
- He came to southern Africa from Holland when he was eleven years old, and he speaks English, Afrikaans, and some Xhosa.
- Targeting students just out of nursing school, the hospitals believe South African staff will have an advantage in language skills, as Afrikaans is related to Dutch.
- He learnt Dutch and Afrikaans so as to translate accurately from diaries and clippings.
- While her mother tongue is Afrikaans, she speaks some Spanish and some Sesotho, learned while in Maseru.
- It blames the dominance of English and Afrikaans in official communication on the lack of a clearly defined language policy.
- The second main official language is Afrikaans.
- Listen to anybody in Lesotho speak Sesotho and you'll soon realise that everybody is speaking a mixture of English and Sesotho and Afrikaans.
- She spoke Afrikaans, but has said she learned English by ‘copying the radio’.
- Brochures, written in Afrikaans, English, isiZulu, isiXhosa and Setswana, are available from all the city's clinics and hospitals.
- Most computer software is only available in English and poorly supported in South Africa's second language, Afrikaans.
- Namibia's most common language is Afrikaans, imported from white South Africa.
- A colleague observed that the film should have been made in Afrikaans with subtitles, as the actors came alive when they spoke Afrikaans.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!