Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(in US)concejal masculine
(in UK)regidor masculineregidora feminine
- A self-made man, he started life in a small cottage in Skipton before going on to serve as a councillor, alderman and then Lord Mayor of Bradford.
- He became involved in politics in the mid-1950s, initially as an alderman on the London County Council.
- In 1911 he was elected a Birmingham Councillor, becoming an alderman in 1914 and, in 1915, Lord Mayor of Birmingham.
- Mr Matson was elected as an alderman by 54 votes to 13 in the first stage of a two-stage process.
- Only last week he turned down the honour of being made an alderman of the city.